Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Govenment Shutdown? Is America Shut Down too?
For those who aren't aware, the government went into shutdown on October 1st, 2013. The government went into shutdown because Congress could not agree on a spending plan for the fiscal year within the specified time frame. With this shutdown put into affect, thousands of citizens have been laid off and furloughed from their jobs. People out of work range from Congressmen, teachers, student interns, and government officials. Many Americans wonder how this will affect America in the long run. The longer Congress bickers over spending endeavors, the longer people will remain without pay which does not help unemployment. Alongside people who are out of work, certain departments will be closed until the House of Representatives and Senate come to some type of consensus. For example, a few Nationals Parks and Monuments closed due to the shutdown are Mount Rushmore, Lincoln Park, The Statue of Liberty, and Yellowstone Park. Although these attractions are closed down, aspects such as Social Security, The Postal Office, and the Military will continue to run as scheduled. The shutdown affects us as constituents either directly or generally. It is important as citizens of America to be aware of direct changes that are occurring and that may affect us as a country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I wish Congress would come to a decision very quick. I was affected by the shutdown, and although I was able to go back to work the following Monday, I feel for those who weren't. Military continued to run, but they too weren't getting paid (I work for the DoD). Either way, it's sad and I wish it would hurry up and be over.
ReplyDelete